Monday, May 09, 2005

What is it?

What is it about A Walk to Remember that I just have to watch it everytime I came across it while channel hunting?

What makes it so different than Sweet November or Here on Earth or Autumn in New York or Moulin Rouge? (OK, I love Moulin Rouge. Nothing can compare to that). Well, what's the difference between this movie and the other 3 I mentioned? They all told the same story in different, or should I say similar variations.

Let me illustrate. Boy is a jock/the most popular guy in school/town/has a relationship phobia. Girl is a sweet, pure, hippie-like, spiritual person. Boy meets girl. Boy falls in love with girl. Boy and Girl happy. Boy finds out Girl is dying. Boy sad. More lovey-dovey scenes. Girl dies. Boy sad but very content and ready to move on.

I'm sure everyone of you have seen this story in one way or another or in one language or another.

I've seen A Walk to Remember like I don't know.. 10 times now and I'm still not tired of it. It's always like, "I'll just watch it until the song or after the first date" but I always end up watching it till the end.

I don't know why. Is it the song that she sang on the play? It's a nice song. Is it the sweater? I don't think so.
Is it the character? It's been done before. Is it Mandy Moore? I'm not a fan of Mandy Moore (though I'm beginning to be a fan of Mandy Moore the actress). Is it the guy? I don't even know his name. Is it the line 'I don't need a reason to be angry with God"? Which is a great line by the way. Is it the father? Is it the soundtrack? What is it?

I'm not one to get attached to a sad, melancholic movie as this and certainly not with a story that has been told over and over and over again. Why do I like this one and not Here on Earth which has a very similar plot and setting (the story revolves around teenagers). So what is it?

I watched it again last night, trying to find some answers and I still can't figure it out. So I guess it will just be one of the mysteries of my life.

No comments: