Monday, June 06, 2005

Reading inside the box

Wah... now in cyberspace also can play tag.

But this is a historic moment. This is the first time Kampug Gal has been passed with one of this thing. Along said that she tagged me.because I "work in a book store and DEFINITELY reads a lot of interesting books." Check out the caps in 'definitely'.

I don't know if I DEFINITELY read interesting books so I'll let you guys judge for yourself. Here's my side of the story...

1) Total number of books I own
Let me see... I have one dish barrel, three 11inx13inx13in boxes, one 11inx10inx12in box, one Recall box, all filled with books, a few in the cupboard, some stacked on the floor...oh yeah I got some more on top of the dish barrel... so that makes about... I don't know... 500? 600? Most of them are inside boxes hence the title "Reading inside the box". All I can say is it's still growing.

2) The last book I bought
The last book I bought was actually a bunch of books I got at the Times warehouse sale. But if I want to really name the 'last book' it would be the Pullman's Trilogy because those are the last few books that I selected to add into my pile. For the full list click here.

3) The last book I read
Pavilion of Women by Pearl S. Buck. Just finished it last night. I'm truly amazed by this woman. She's an American but she can depict a traditional Chinese family with great detail and depth. Ok she may have lived there most of her life but this is unbelievable. She wrote about a poor family in The Good Earth and then she wrote about a very old, wealthy and influential family in Pavilion of Women. I was expecting an inter-racial love story after watching the movie but it was deeper than that to my utmost pleasure. Will talk more about this in future post.

4) 5 books that mean a lot to me
The Neverending Story by Micheal Ende. This book I can truly say the first book that entered my all-time favourite book list. I think I was in Form 4 or 5 when I first got hold of it from the school library. Years later I saw it at a bookstore and I bought it straight away and read it again. It's a beautiful book and very unique. The chapters starts in alphabetical order, meaning first chapter starts with A, second starts with B and so on. Each letter is also intricately illustrated at the beginning of every chapter. I scanned a page for your viewing pleasure.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Imajica by Clive Barker. The book that made me fall in love with Clive Barker's mind. I was already a fan of Hellraiser the movie which leads me to venture into his books. I happened to choose the biggest book that the rental bookstore has. I must have been pretty bored at that time. This book turns out to be my favourite Barker book and it still is. I've always wanted to read this again but it's in the dish barrel and I can't reach it. I need a bookshelf!!!

Little Women, Good Wives, Jo's Boys and Little Men by Louisa May Alcott. I know this is 4 books but I can't talk about one without mentioning the other. Louisa May Alcot gets me every time i.e. she can make me cry reading her stories. At first I thought it was because I saw the movie so I had that mental picture to get me in the mood. But then I also cried when I read Jo's Boys and Little Men. She just has a way to touch my heart.

Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl. My favourite Dahl book. It's about this wonderful father-son relationship. What amazes me is Dahl grew up without a father but he was able to embodies what a great father should be. But I don't think it's limited to fathers. I think it also talks about how to be a great parent. A very sweet book, suitable for both boys and girls.

Remedial English Grammar and Usage. Hehe.. I know, this book seems out of place but it is dear to my heart because it was the prize for getting the third place at a short story writing competition at my school. I also won the second prize the previous year (I got a book about household tips) which lead me to believe that I may have a knack in writing. But this one is more meaningful because I think my teacher was trying to drop a hint. He once pointed out in front of the whole class how horrendoes my grammar was in my first story, which I got the second prize for. So I guess a year later, there was no improvement. I'm sorry to say Mr Andrews, my grammar is still horrendous but I promise you I will improve myself.

5) Tag 5 people and have them fill this out on their blogs.
I thought I don't want to play tag anymore but I'm curios as to what these people have to say..
Eyeris - He's the eye on books. Of course I want to know what he has to say.
The Visitor - I'm sure this guy will DEFINITELY have read some interesting books. I hope I can get recomendations on good horror books.
The Social Cafe - just want to see if they read any books between the drinking and cussing. Anyone from the gang will do. Or they can compile a list between themselves.
Kenny Sia - also want to see if he reads between the testng of new condoms and measuring his balls Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Ok guys, ignore this tag if you've done this before but do give me the url of the post, orait?

No comments: