Thursday, April 28, 2005

This is how you do it

He he he... (devil laugh)

I just got back from Times Warehouse Sale in PJ and what a great time I had. MPH should just stop doing anymore warehouse sales until they learn something from Times. This is how you do it man!

Half of the area were covered with bargain books instead of the measly few bins that MPH had at their warehouse sale. A lot of paperbacks at RM8 and I'm not talking about some unknown titles by obscure authors. I'm talking about Stephen King, Catherine Lim, Phillip Pulman, John Grisham, Toni Morrison and many more. I even saw Bridget Jones (Book 1 and 2), Cold Mountain and Star Wars novelizations among others. I also saw the complete set of Stephen King's Wizards & Glass series (4 books) for RM30. Quite a bargain but I'm not a fan. Eyeris actually posted a very comprehensive take on this event already so I won't elaborate anymore.

But while he's kicking himself over Life of Pi and Terry Brooks, I was booting myself over

*** WE INTERRUPT THE REGULAR PROGRAMMING FOR A NEWSFLASH ***

Constantine is out!
Where the hell are all his fans? Did they suddenly develop a taste for melancholic chubby boy who sings melancholy songs? Scott was not even at the bottom three. I think family background got something to do with it. I think America is starting to root for the average dude (with a son to boot) rather than the high-class Greek kid from Brooklyn. Oh well, I guess now there's an opening for Bo in the final 2! Go Bo Bice!

*** End of Newsflash ***

Ok where was I.... Oh yeah...

And while he's kicking himself over Life of Pi and Terry Brooks, I was booting myself over for To Kill a Mockingbird, Anne Rice's Blood Canticle and Blackwood Farm. I bought To Kill a Mockingbird at MPH warehouse sale for RM21! And I bought the Anne Rice books at regular price. I can't believe they could sell Anne Rice at RM8 and these are the latest ones too. Damn!

But I guess that's just the ups and downs of a book collector. You win some you lose some. While I may lose 3 points this time, I managed to win on some of these...
  • The new Artemis Fowl book (The Opal Deception) RM24
  • The Complete Book of Vampires RM15
  • The Complete Tolkien Companion RM10
  • Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind RM8
  • Yann Martel's Life of Pi RM8
  • Arthur Golden's Memoirs of a Geisha RM8
  • Philip Pullman's The Golden Compass RM8
  • Philip Pullman's The Subtle Knife RM8
  • Philip Pullman's The Amber Spyglass RM8
  • Charles Dickens's The Old Curiosity Shop RM5
  • E.M. Forster's A Passage to India RM5
  • and War and Peace (VCD) RM9
12 items for RM116. Not bad for a 2-hour scouting session.

No comments: