Wednesday, January 05, 2005

The Kampung Gal is in

I'm out of my hibernation albeit reluctantly. I thought 2 days of quiet was enough but I guess not. But Monday came and went and I'm still here so better make the best of it.

Apart from reading the daily horoscope (if by chance I got my hands on a paper) I also try to get free astrological reading from the net. I got this one from a link from birthdayalert.com

Birth Date and Time..... December 30, 1976 1:18 PM
Birth Location............. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Sun Sign.................... Capricorn

Section 1: How You Approach Life and How You Appear To Others
You meet life head on and throw yourself into new experiences with zest and enthusiasm. You are direct, straightforward, assertive, and usually completely aboveboard in all your dealings. Candid and incapable of guile, insincerity or phoniness, you project a confident and sometimes arrogant appearance to others. You often lack tact and sensitivity, and can be completely oblivious to others' needs, and inadvertently selfish. You are self-reliant and don't depend upon social approval and reinforcement as much as other people do. You like to be original and do not mind going it alone. You may feel that you do not fit into groups very well, and that you do not naturally blend in and cooperate with others very easily. You like to be either a leader or a loner. Find out more with your full-length report...

Section 2: The Inner You: Your Real Motivation
Serious, disciplined, and quietly ambitious, you are driven to prove yourself and to achieve material accomplishments and success. Your work, your position in the world, and your contributions to society are very important to you. You will persevere through enormous hardship and frustration in order to reach a goal you have set for yourself, and you often sacrifice much in the area of personal relationships and home life in order to do so. Find out more with your full-length report...

This is a very close description of myself except for a few things like I am "direct" and "straightforward" but I don't think I'm "assertive" and "aboveboard". Some ppl whom I just met would think I'm arrogant but once they get to know me we get along quite well. I have to admit that I am selfish but I'm not insensitive to other ppl's needs. I struggle to gain my independence though not doing so well right now and yes I do not need social approval to feel good about myself. I do like to be original. I find that I won't do a certain things just because everyone else is doing it for eg. joining Puteri UMNO and asking for a transfer while everyone else in my dept would rather stay there. I do find myself being the odd one out sometimes. I want to be a leader and currently I'm a loner. Do I want to get the full report to find out more about myself? No thank you.

I am "serious" and "quietly ambituos" (I like this term) but not disciplined. I do want to prove myself and achieve something. I want to feel that the short time that I have in this world meant something to someone else and not just me. I wish I can contribute more to the society which was one of the reason why I'm thinking of being a teacher. However up till now I don't really sacrifice much of my "personal relationships" (like a have a lot of that!) and "home life". I enjoy spending time with my friends and I would rather stay home and get as much quiet time as possible rather than volunteering at the zoo.

So, this reading may be 50% accurate but it was still quite close which is why it always boggles me how astrology can determine your personality by the position of the stars. A lot of ppl said that it was all coincidence but sometimes you just can't help but think, "Man, that really desribes who I really am". Maybe I should work hard to live up to my astrological reading like being more disciplined and assertive. Maybe then I would reach my goals faster. Generally, ppl my age would at least have a nice car who doesn't go out on you all the time, a couple of grand in the bank, earning more than RM30K per year. What I have is a car that is still alive provided that you get it fix everytime it groans and earning not even close to RM20K per year. Don't get me started about savings. It has always been just enough for me.

I would love to live in a world where money isn't everything. I wish I can get a job with a nice pay, great hours (5-day week would be great!) and to actually love working there. There's so many things that I would love to do like volunteer at the zoo, sponsor an animal, join Mercy. But what's mostly on my mind right now is how am I going to get so comfortable financially that I don't even need to think how much my lunch is gonna cost today.

I've been working for 4 years now and I don't have anything to show. Let's look at my assets that's worth something. I have a car (still on financing), a computer (bought with instalment scheme), a portable DVD player (also on instalment and still paying), boxes of books, rows of CDs and a cupboardful of clothes. But what I desperately need right now is a new car and my own place. You know, it is times like these that I really envy those girls who get their own little "sponsors". But since I really value my independence, getting my own "sponsor" is not an option right now. Nothing else to do but look for a better job and work hard on filling up that bank account.

No comments: