Monday, August 29, 2005

This just in!

First some breaking news...
Kampung Gal's stat shoots up to the hundreds last Sunday (actually it was just 107) without her blogging about a TV show, thus discredits her theory. She is still wondering why.
But then, most of the visitors only spent less than 5 seconds at my blog so it's either they expected something else or they're really, really fast readers. Either way I'm still happy.

And now to other news of the day...

Yesterday me and some friends way back from school finally get to meet. We all live in the same city (except for one who lives in Johor) but after, I don't know, eons and eons, we finally get to sit down and have a nice long chat (thank God we didn't talk about work). Most of the time we were talking about a recent event that happened to one of us, which I'm dying to talk about. But we are sworn to secrecy so I'd have to think about it again. Along has the gist of what it was about though, you'll get the idea. Next agenda - karaoke! Right gals?

After meeting them I went straight to the Times warehouse sale. And just for you desparil here are the details,
Date: 26th August - 31st Aug 2005
(26th August TPC cardmember's preview day)
Time: 10am - 7.00pm
Venue: No.4 (2nd Floor), Jalan 13/4, Section 13, Petaling Jaya (behind Colgate-Palmolive)
Contact No: 012-237 5631

Total damage: RM113 and I was being very discreet in my selections. They are,
  • The Phenix and the Carpet - E. Nesbitt (RM3)
  • The Age of Innocence - Edith Wharton (RM5)
  • Classic Horror Stories (RM5) This is an old publication but it has a lot of stories by great authors whom I never knew wrote horror stories like Robert Louis Stevenson, Charles Dickens, Nathaniel Hawthorne and D.H. Lawrence.
  • VCD "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" Starring George Clooney (RM11)
  • VCD "Elizabeth" starring Cate Blanchett in her Oscar nominated role (RM11)
  • Winnie the Pooh box set (RM42). Normal price RM59-90. It is cheaper buying it now than buying it from my workplace even with the staff discount.
  • Wild Swans - Jung Chang (RM25) I read the book before (borrowed from a friend). I really liked it. She was able to make me understand why the people of China can still support Communism and Mao even with all the hardships that they have to go through. Now I'm wondering if I should read her new book, Mao: The Unknown Story.
I was able to restrict myself from buying Sketches From Boz by Charles Dickens, Star of Kazan by Eva Ibbotsons, a book written by a jury who was involved in a murder case and some horror classics VCDs like Daughter of Dracula with Bela Lugosi and Frankenstein with... I can't remember who but it was not Boris Karloff. Not worthing having... at least for now.(sigh) If only I have a bigger budget.

I also found Afdlin Shauki's blog last night.

Today I sent my car for service which is actually one month overdue. While waiting for them to finish with it, I went to a nearby shopping mall to kill time. Of course I ended up in Payless. Since I knew I have lots of time to kill i went and survey each and every shelf that interests me.

First, the children and young adult section with the intention of finding more books from the Oz series. I managed to find two of them, both from Payless for about RM25 each a few years back. They are the HC versions with color plates (pages with full color illustrations printed on special paper). Quite nice to add to my collection. So I was really hoping I can find more. No luck this time.

Instead I found an interesting find - Unforgettable Fire, U2's early biography (up to the year 1987). I know it's kind of old (and not that accurate judging from a review in Amazon) but if you check out the price of recent books on U2, you will get choked.

Afterwards I went straight to the next appointment, meeting my ex-colleagues from the bank. This is a different group of ex-colleagues. Not the ones that I talked about before who can't stop talking about work. Remember them? Well, these people are NOT them and thank God we didn't talk about work this time too.

Busy, busy week this time around and it has to happen on the eve of my first 5 days straight shift complete with a public holiday. That's life, right?

It is two days until "Belog Dalam BM" campaign and I still don't know what I'm going to talk about. What I do know is that I'll be known as Gadis Kampung Celup on that day since Gadis Kampung Dalam Bandar sounds so corny... Thanks to Eyeris for the idea.

No comments: