Tuesday, December 14, 2004

The Bukit Bintang Experience - Part 2

Everyone else was ready when I reached the hotel and I hopped into the shower. Earlier in the day, R suggested a place which has a cabaret show since she was the one who wanted to see a live show while she was in town. I know ST wants to go clubbing but I don't want to. I suggested we just stay in and watch some movies. I got my portable DVD player with me and ST got some VCDs of new movies. "Let's do a movie marathon. It would be like old times." But no, they would rather go out.

At about 10pm we head out. I really thought we were all set to go to the cabaret show. I don't mind seeing a live show, I just don't like clubs. I hate the music that they usually play and I don't think it is a good place for friends to get together and catch up on their lives. Anyway... we actually ended up at the Star Hill's lounge (the one on the lower ground floor) where the live show was playing oldies but goodies. Mmm okay.... They must have decided something else while I was away. That's a bummer, I was looking forward to see a Malaysian-style cabaret show.

We settled into a section close to the stage and the waiter brought the drink menus. I was a bit flabbergasted for a while when I skimmed through the menu and saw the long list of alcoholic drinks. But then I saw Y flipped the menu over and open another page. I did the same and drew a silent sigh in my head. R and ST were busy discussing what kind of drink they should try.

I look around, trying to enjoy the music while thinking if I should get a coke or spare a few more dollars and get some juice. After a while I find that I really don't like this place. The items are way over-priced and I feel that people who frequented this places just want to keep up the appearances that they have a lot of money to spare and those who come once in a while, present company included, just want a taste of how the other side live and dream. Well, I don't have money to spare, I can't imagine spending time here if I do have the money and the music suck. So I said, "Wouldn't it be more fun to be at Starbucks?" Of course, ST gave me the look that says don't be so boring and said, "If you want to leave, go ahead." I called Y and we went out.

The first place we saw was the Italian gelato and I've been wanting to try that for the longest time so we parked there. We ordered the three scoop. I picked the watermelon, Y took the french vanilla and to complement everything I also chose a chocolate flavour ice cream. Y paid for this one too (thanks Y!) and it was marvellous. We talked about lost times and how she's coping with her teaching job, something that I'm interested in doing.

We sat there for about one hour and then took a walk around the area. We parked at Starbucks for a drink and then head back to the hotel. Just as I guessed it R and ST was already at the room... with a bottle of wine. No comments, not yet anyway. I just pretend that I didn't see that bottle. Ok... I've seen them drink before but I don't know how to tell them that it really bothered me without losing their company. I wish that one day I could just at least tell them, "Drink all you want, it's your responsibility but just don't do it when I'm around." This was also one of the reason I didn't want to join them at the hotel. I knew that they were going to spend the time drinking. But the spacious room beckons. I also decided a few months ago that I will try to limit the time that I have with them if there's a slight chance they will have access to alcohol (which could also mean I cannot play pool anymore - sigh). Maybe it can be a silent protest. If their skull is not that thick maybe they'll notice.

Later on that night I asked Y if she wants to see a VCD and she said OK. So we watched Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason - very cute! I thought I can watch another one but I was too sleepy. I guess Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez were not interesting enough to keep me awake. I surrender to the bed leaving Y with the movie.

I don't sleep at all well that night. I never really had a problem sleeping at a strage place before. I don't know if it was something I ate, the very bright desk lamp or ST snoring. I still had trouble even after I switch off the lamp. I started to regret staying over. Man! RM70 for a comfortable bed but no sleep? I'm screwed.

End of Part 2

Continue with The Berjaya Times Square Experience

No comments: