Thursday, December 23, 2004

Interview with the Manager

The interview went well, I think. Same ol' same ol'... Why I'm leaving my current job, why the sudden change of industry (from bank to bookstore), do I mind working extra hours, how low can I go in terms of salary (which I suddenly remembered I didn't state in the interview, duh), bla bla bla and so on and so forth.

Later on in the interview he explained that I will not be considered for the position I asked for because the post involves a lot of travelling and he preferred a male. Well, he's lucky I'm not one of those feminista who would certainly blow her top off. Anyway, I won't mind travelling though. But thinking about today's crime level now, I don't think so.

Instead I will be considered a post at a new outlet that they will open at 1 Utama as branch head (gasp). "Do you mind taking that position?" I said, "I don't mind if you have confidence that I can do it". Then, he mention that this may be a problem for me since I live so far away so he is considering to place me at KLCC as assistant to the branch head where I will be groomed for the head position. "Which one do you prefer?" Hmm okay. I would prefer to work at KLCC. I was concerned about the location when I first applied for this job (it's in Shah Alam!) so now it seems the choice becomes easier for me. So I said, "I would prefer to be groomed rather than being thrown into a head position."

Did I make the wrong choice here? The thing is I believe in taking small but sure steps. I don't want to get a job just for the title. If I'm going to be head I MUST perform. If not I'll be in a very big trouble. This is an international company and certainly cannot compare to the shop I'm working in right now. So I think I took the right option.


No comments: